Wednesday 31 January 2018

Marital Advice to My Grandson, Joel by Peter Davidson - Book Review

peter davidson book


Book Name- Marital Advice to My Grandson, Joel

Author- Peter Davidson

Blurb-
When my grandson, Joel, got engaged, I decided to jot down a few words of marital wisdom for him, based on my vast experience as a husband. Then I thought, why share this wisdom with only one person when I can share it with the whole world. So, I started a blog, listing new marital advice every week. As the popularity of the blog grew, people suggested that the material should be turned into a book and, well, here it is!

Sure, much of the advice is off-the-wall and wacky, but it’s also an upbeat, humorous look at married life that any engaged or married person can relate to and will find insightful and fun to read. Even unmarried people can enjoy the book and, who knows, it might convince some of you to take the plunge, or perhaps confirm your belief that being single is a blessing.

Advice to Joel, and to any man, includes: make sure that you buy a roll of electrical tape before you volunteer to do the vacuuming–and why, how to deal with your wife’s steely-eyed, clinched-jaw scowl, known as “The Look,” how to answer your wife’s questions such as, “Does this dress make my ass look big?,” the warning that your mouth will get you into a whole lot more trouble than your Willy ever will, and how to create the world’s most powerful anniversary card for your wife. 

Virtually all of the material in the book is presented in the form of upbeat stories, scenarios, and examples. This is not the type of advice that you’ll find in a textbook on marriage or in a book on marital relations written by some psychiatrist. This is the real stuff for real people.

Review-

Marital Advice to My Grandson, Joel - the title of this book has a really personal touch to it. It seems more like personal account and that is the reason why you feel so connected to the book.

The cover is aptly designed. It provides you a quick glimpse of what the book could be all about. The blurb also says a lot about the book which makes you interested in the book. It is presented in a conversing manner... like the author is speaking to his grandson in person. I liked the simple way it is written.

Coming to the book, it is divided into small chapters. The chapters are really short and hence, can be read quickly. The author puts forward his advices straight...without any twists. He doesn't beat around the bush and comes straight to the point. This is what I loved about this book. This book isn't something like those which tell you a lengthy tale before actually telling the main point.

The author has personalised each chapter with a small encounter of his life. He has presented it in a cutest way possible which will make you say 'Aww...this is so cute.' They say experience is a great teacher. And I believe it is rightly proved in this book.

I was little skeptical about reading this book as it is written by a foreign author. I was wondering whether I would buy the concept.. whether I would understand the culture and way of living. But, this book proved me all wrong. Women and men all over the world are same. It is only the style of living that varies across geographical regions.

The language is simple. You will feel like you're listening to the author giving advices to his grandson, Joel. The narration is perfect. The chapters are rightly placed. However, I was disappointed with the book length. I wanted it to go on.

If I write about the advices that the author has written for Joel, this review will be termed a spoiler. The book is a pleasant read. It makes you face the reality. You can term it as a perfect relationship mentor.

I rate it with 4.5/5 stars.

You can buy your copies of this amazing book on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy

We, at Musings of a Vivacious Heart are passionate about writing. We publish blogs since it is the best way to reach out to our readers. Ou...